As a retired minister of 30+ years of ministry, I have developed a love for people; especially those you are hurting. As I read the news online today, my heart was overwhelmed with the tragic events people are going through:
- Four children die in a house fire
- Two young teachers drown over July 4th (separate incidents)
- Children/adults abducted or missing
- Five people killed because a drunken driver went the wrong way on the Interstate.
I could not help but think of all the families that are hurting because of these tragedies. But there is one grieving Person we often forget – God. Many people do not think God has no emotions. They see Him as a distance Deity, One who created the world, then left us to fend for ourselves! Not so! The Bible tells us of a hosts of emotions God feels:
- God commands us not to “grieve” the Holy Spirit Ephesians 4:30
- God is ” moved by pity” Judges 3:18
- God loves us John 3:16
As you try to console those who are suffering, remember there is One who loves, cares, and understands more than any of us. He is hurting right along with His creation.